Sunday, August 17, 2008

1 Month 2 Days


...Is how long i have been living in Nelsonville, Ohio. It feels a lot longer than that - I guess maybe because I've embraced the change so readily..hungrily even. The countryside is spectacular, the rolling hills are beautiful, the rock outcroppings are fantastic and appear unexpectedly from the hillside. I have been slow in getting my blog started, I wanted to write at least weekly, but I think I've been both busy and fearful of how to start out.

It has been a busy four weeks.

I moved into a room at the back of my moms house, she used to use it as a utility room, but I chose it because it was a little more private than her guest room - even though it doesn't have a door :) It has blue carpet, two windows that are painted shut, paneled walls that remind me of a trailer and a little bit of bubble gum stuck on the ceiling from the children that lived in the house before she bought it a couple years ago.... I am debating on whether to leave to gum, I think its kind of endearing. I have no closet in the room, so my mom is letting me use an armoire that came from my grandparents old house.

The town I live in has about 5,000 residents which should increase somewhat when school starts back up because there is a 2 year technical school located here. It is where my parents met in the 70's.

The town I work in has about 500 residents. It is called Trimble and was an old coal mining town as many of the towns are including the town I live in. Coal and Brick were the two main industries in this part of Ohio and I imagine this part of the U.S. for a good portion of their existence. The photo above is Mason, a boy I met at the environmental education day camp for rural action. He found that brick in a cave that was at one time used by miners to hold secret meetings for organizing, was used as a bowling alley for locals and host of other things over the years. it is up around New Straitsville.


No comments: